Monday, July 30, 2007

Finally Here!

Well, I've made it through my first full day in South Africa. The flight was an ordeal...imagine nearly eight hours of flying, then landing in Dakar for an hour to re-fuel and not being allowed off the plane. Then, flying for another eight hours. Another layover with crazyness in Jo-berg and then another flight. But we made it and the hostel is incredible--though has no heat and it's cold!


Today we went to the school and organized some things. We taught our first classes today too. I entered my room--the teacher had decided not to teach in the afternoon--so there were students everywhere, standing on chairs and all yelling. Eventually a student I'd asked to help was able to quiet people down enough for me to get their attention. I got them all to leave for their after-school classes and only those in my bookmaking class to stay. Today, since I didn't have all the supplies I needed, I did a small getting-to-know you book project. We also did a name game so that I could attempt to learn their names. Two of my students have a click in their names and laugh when I try to say them.



After class some of the students wanted to take photos of me and we have some incredibly cute ones. The kids here are adorable, incredibly friendly and not at all camera-shy.


After school we drove home and it was horrifying to see the shacks that many of these students live in. We passed a stand on the street that sells Smilies, called this because they're roasted animal heads that look like they're smiling. A dare has been made and I may have to try it at some point!

About to eat dessert and then head back to bed! Jet lag still reins.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I'm so glad you got there okay! Can't wait to see pictures... :-)

Lauri said...

If you eat a smiley, I want proof in picture form. Oh I'm so happy you got there safe and sound and your first day went really awesome! Post more! :-)