Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Peggy Guggenheim Collection & Venezia


I am officially immersed in my internship at the Peggy Guggenheim Collection. Interns are responsible for opening and closing the museum, selling tickets, guarding the work and giving tours, amongst other things. The woman pictured above is the one and only Peggy Guggenheim, a woman I'm coming to learn much about. Her grave is in the garden here and I'm expected to prepare two talks on her life. Some interns seem to love her, some despise her, but all respect her for her impressive collection and support for artists.

I expected to use my Italian here, of course, but it's surprising how many French tourists I've encountered. I'm very thankful for the six years of French that I took all those years ago. The German tourists will just have to deal with English, however, since they're also a major percentage of museum visitors and I don't understand deutschsprachlich.

It's currently Carnivale here and walking through the narrow calles and being confronted by people in full costumes and masks is a unique experience. Last night while my roommate and I were walking home, we encountered the entrance to a masked ball. We could see powdered wigs and glittering costumes in the dim candlelight. It was all I could do to refrain myself from trying to go in.

Here are some photos taken while walking around Venice on Wednesday.




And, some images of the Campiello where my apt is located:

No comments: