Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Final Farewell

On Saturday, we held the final exhibit for the students at Sivuyseni. I didn't have much setting up to do as my projects were the mural and book-making.



I got many notes from the students, some that seemed to drip with "I love you" and "You're my best friend." One though was incredibly heartfelt and really sad as this student confessed things about her family situation.

At the exhibit, there was a DJ and all the kids danced again as if they've been studying hip hop their entire lives. We also had a few performances, one by The Sweet Boys and two by girls doing traditional Xhosa dances.

During the free dancing time, I somehow ended up leading a conga line of fifty kids. I also learned to "cut the cake" and do the "chicken." Watch out NYC dance clubs!

No comments: