Sunday, August 12, 2007

The Most Amazing Day

On Saturday, my class nearly finished our mural. All four panels have been completed, with just minor details to work out. In the last twenty minutes of class, I was alone with five ninth grade boys, none of whom speak very good English. One of them started singing and then the rest of them joined in, "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine..." as we painted rays of yellow into the background.

After school every day, many many students wait for us to leave before they begin their walk home. On Saturday, we were walking home with those who live in Joe Slovo, a nearby township. People we passed were astonished to see forty children and a number of white adults walking the forty-five minute trek along the highway.

We walked through the neighborhood which is truly destitute by anyone's standards, but which is still surprisingly beautiful. The surrounding countryside is completely visible in the township neighborhoods whereas most white neighborhoods are closed off with high stone walls and barbed wire. Many of the shacks are painted bright colors and I always love the look of hanging laundry.


We had a BBQ at Sicelo's house (pronounced Stelo, with a sound like tsk at the T) who is one of my bookmaking students. Then Sicelo and his friends and their dance group, known as The Sweet Boys, performed. They did the most amazing step performance.


This was followed by a dance party in which these kids completely stunned us with their insane dance moves.

I've realized that I felt more welcomed by the people in this neighborhood and more comfortable there than I do in the white neighborhood where we are staying.

Back at the hostel, we had poikey, a traditional Afrikaner stew!

No comments: