Monday, August 13, 2007

Monday



Today I began some serious thesis research. Last night, with my former professor, I outlined some questions that I wanted to ask and this morning I interviewed some teachers and the principal. The teachers who have been working longer seem very downtrodden. When I asked them about the differences they'd noted in education since 1994, they said that things have gotten worse since then. Bantu teachers are expected to teach to the same standards as British and Afrikaner teachers, despite not having as extensive training or quality education growing up. These same teachers, and the principal remarked that things are much more difficult since corporal punishment was banned. However, I've seen teachers hit the students with broom handles for being slightly late to class (despite the fact that the teachers themselves often don't come to class at all). The principal told me that he loves my mural, but other than that, I didn't find his answers very helpful as he gave me a lot of practiced responses. I get to tour four other schools at the end of this week to add to my research.

While taking a break from my interviews, I went outside and was swarmed by some of the younger students at Sivuyiseni who were leaving for the day. I was sitting on the ground and they all started playing with my hair, remarking at how soft it is. Then they started braiding and soon I had five or six kids standing around me, braiding my hair. Then there were kids picking flowers, trying to stick them in my hair and others that wanted to play clapping games with me as I sat. I wanted to put all of the kids in my pocket to take home with me--their voices are so gentle and the clicks they make when speaking Xhosa are adorable.

No comments: