Friday, August 3, 2007

End of Week 1 (Almost)!

Yesterday we began our second group of after-school classes. I'm teaching a mural painting class. This one is tough because the students range in ages from 5th grade to 9th grade. It's hard to motivate everyone because they're all at such different developmental stages. None of them knew what mural painting is and today I took them to look at the walls of their library which have murals on all sides. They're not particularly interesting but we discussed them somewhat. We'll begin figuring out the elements that will go in our final mural tomorrow. The students generated and voted on their theme which is "My Future" and we're painting both sides of two walls that are on either side of the school's driveway.

Today when I entered the classroom to teach, some female students were washing the floor--in their socks or barefoot mostly. And they were singing!



Earlier in the day, I modeled for a gesture drawing class and the students were incredibly excited to show their improvement. Those in the back were standing on their desks holding up their work. It was definitely a high of the day.



Last night we brought a student named Cornelia home to our hostel. She had already been invited, to celebrate her birthday which was on Wednesday but then she definitely needed some special treatment as a visit to the dentist (aided by our group) led to having a tooth pulled. She was the sweetest and quietest girl and we surprised her with a birthday party. She told me this morning that she'd be the celebrity of the school today.



Lastly, this afternoon, I drove on the left side of the road!
Check out my newest photos here

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is awesome. I feel like I am getting a SA experience! I love the faces on these children! They are so beautiful and so full of enthusiasm. Nice books! (and nice to see the fabric in use.)
love, mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Godchild!

What an incredible journey you have ahead of you. The students and the place are inspiring. Please keep me up to date on your adventures.

I hope you don't mind, but I plan on sharing your blog with everyone I know because I just think it is so incredible.

Love
Sunny Baird