Sunday, August 12, 2007

Xhosa meal

Friday night we had another Xhosa meal, equally amazing and perhaps with even more dishes. I couldn't finish all that I'd piled onto my plate.


A visitor came to dinner and spoke to us about growing up during apartheid. Gcobani Zonke is an educational advisor for the Ubuntu Education Fund. He was incredibly frank about the conditions during apartheid; life for a black South African was similar to that of a Jew in Nazi Europe. The townships were contained like ghettos with tall lights (that are still in place) that would illuminate everything at night. There were only two entrances and police would arrive regularly with informants to rat out any activists. Education for Blacks was purposely set up to teach them just enough to be able to plow a field or to make a craft. Mr. Zonke was fascinating and I have his business card so that I can use him as a resource for my thesis.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

JalaUsece
[url=http://healthplusrx.com/pancreatitis]pancreatitis[/url]
assoreplome