Friday, August 10, 2007

Mural Painting


The second half of each week, I devote to a Mural Painting class. My class voted on the theme of "My Future." On Thursday, we began our mural and it is progressing quickly! We've made a disaster of the sidewalk and will most likely have to paint the school colors on the ground to cover it up. Here's a sneak peak of one panel of the final mural (we have four to do).


Thursday was also Women's Day which is a huge holiday here. In honor of this, we made bags of grain, fruit and toilet paper for some of our students to give to their mothers/grandmothers/aunts. We delivered these to Joe Slovo, a very poor neighborhood where many of our students live. Weather permitting, we'll have a BBQ there on Saturday night. It's a bit difficult to wrestle with voyeuristic tendancies and sympathy for their situation.

Because of the holiday, school was closed on Thursday and Friday and we held our after school classes on a Saturday schedule. After we handed out the bags, a few of us went to the beach!
This is Kelly V and me having fun

1 comment:

Katie said...

Oh I love their mural. I can't wait to see all 4! :-)

And that beach looks beautiful.